Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Schrodinger, Aquaman, and Fonzerelli.

Just a random sort musing about Aquaman. The DC comics character that everyone makes fun of, because he was really lame and useless on The Superfriends cartoon that supplies all pop culture knowledge of Aquaman, and really most of the Justice League. In the cartoon his primary abilities of talking to fish and swimming really fast are not especially relevant to any adventure the other land-based heroes would be having. This forced the show's writers to clumsly jam in some sort of marine disaster or a fish monster attack just so he would have something to do. Comlete and utter lameness, in summary.

If you talk to any DC comics reader (forgive my lack of knowledge I was Marvel reader in my youth); Aquaman, in his own books, is a total badass. He fight Lovecraftian eldrich abominations, he chopped off his own hand, he has crazy Conan the Barbarian style adventures under the sea, and does all sorts of cool shit.

But no one reads Aquaman comics, all anyone really knows about him comes from the pop culture references that mock his lameness. So we have a case where the observed charcter is uncool and the unobserved character is cool, resulting in somesort of state where is both cool and not cool at the same time: Schrodinger's coolness.




Yeah, I don't know where I was going with that either, but I figured I'd write it down.

1 comment:

  1. If it weren't for Tim Burton, I fear that Batman would mostly be known for his campy 60s show. I guess we just need a good Aquaman movie to destroy the bias.

    ReplyDelete